Saturday, October 30, 2010

Masks...they're not just for Halloween anymore.

As I was running around yesterday getting last minute items for my own Halloween costume I began to think about things. But that isn't anything new. I am always thinking and thinking and thinking about things. My brain just never really shuts off and what would be one simple forgotten thought to most people is a thought that I ponder on until I find a meaning.

Anyways, I love Halloween and I love dressing up. I do it every year.  One thing I think that makes Halloween so neat is that for one night I get to dress up and become someone different than who I normally am. I have talked to some of my friends and that is what they like about costumes as well. I know you've seen it before...you go to a Halloween party and you may see your conservative more quiet friend dressed up in her sexy playboy bunny outfit and you may see your always pleasant bubbly friend dressed up like a blood sucking vampire. That's because during Halloween it's almost like we feel we have "Permission" to be whatever we want to be.

The thing I found most interesting when I was thinking about costumes and masks is that really we all wear masks at times in our lives don't we? Some of us wear them everyday because we don't want people to know our authentic self.  Some of us have a closet full of masks and we put on different ones in different situations because we don't want people to know what is going on with us at the time. Some days we are depressed but we put on our "happy" mask (because people don't really want to know what's wrong).  Some days we are very hurt so we put on our "angry" masks (after all, we don't want people to think we are weak). Some of us feel unlovable so we will put on our "Sexy" mask (and try and get attention from everyone and anyone).

My hope is that all of us will give ourselves "permission" to always be our authentic selves. When we're hurt, sad, depressed or feel unlovable...let's own it! After all, those that love us will help get us through it and those that won't don't need to be in our lives. We must first learn to love ourselves before we can truly love someone else and before they will ever truly be able to love us. I  know it is easier said than done but work on finding out who you are and why you do the things you do. We live in a world with a wealth of information from books, the internet, counselors.....you name it and it's out there. (I posted a link below that might be helpful)

My hope for all of you is that you will have a great Halloween tomorrow and that when it is over you will remember to hang up your mask and not put it on again until next year. Masks are for Halloween not everyday life. It is exhausting trying to be someone your not and it is freeing and wonderful to be the person God intended you to be. 

"We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves."  ~François Duc de La Rochefoucauld


God gives us HOPE when there seems to be none. ~ Your friend Lib


No comments:

Post a Comment